Monday, August 4, 2014

The FEEEAAR! (Enough with the game references right?) Part 2



Therein lies the joke in the title. Ha! I'm the only one that gets it...

Anyway my Random 2 Minute Draw Experiment (working title) was a rounding success in my opinion. I had predicted that students would be fearful of public critiquing as well as having to deal with stress.

Stress was present in the 2 minute time limit, and in the unintentional side effect of having defective writing tools. I told them to draw this specific thing within this specific time, thus they felt slightly stressed to get it done. Evidence of this existed with the comments of the pens not working, and the groans and or victory cheers at the end of the time limit.

When I asked to briefly show their drawings to the class, the public critiquing came into play. While almost know actual critiquing took place, there was quite a bit of hesitation on quite a few faces that I noticed when they held up their drawings. Heck even I was hesitant. I went through 5 pens for god's sake.

Seeing as how I perfected this experiment, would I change it? Yes, I would. I feel as though the ending presentation was a little weak. At the end I simply had a show, and then collected them. I feel like I can do more with this, perhaps leave it on the desk for more students to find, or have them give a small speech over it. The actually execution of the experiment was fine, perhaps having working pens next time would help. I also believe that coming up with the subject to draw on the spot is important, as I didn't formulate what I'd be drawing beforehand, I was going to say the J.W. Mariot that was not far from the  IT building originally, but I realized how dumb that sounded as I was talking about the reason behind the experiment.

Bottom line, Keep Experiment the same, change presentation. I feel like I could conjure up a more long lasting 'fear' from that kind of method.

On a final and somewhat fearful note, I've seemed to have misplaced those drawings. I'm sure they're around here somewhere, or... maybe not. Either way, it's not like it was anything too valuable. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment