Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Books as Pillows - Sleep on It

Our assignment this week was one of the weirdest ones yet. We had to literally take out book intended for reversing, and sleep on it, as a pillow. I can safely say, I didn't really feel much of a difference upon waking up this morning (even though I'm waiting until NOW to post). I also didn't feel much of a difference falling asleep at night. All in all, I suppose it was more of a subconscious thing more than anything else.


To sleep on something, is basically to give something more time for yourself. If you're given a choice between two important things, and you can't immediately make a choice on the matter, you may 'sleep on it' to think about it more, and put off making the decision until more thought and time has gone into the decision making process.

So why would we be asked to sleep on our reversed books? Well I honestly think it's because many of us haven't done much with them yet, and before we tear into them and get right down to it, we should think about how we tear into it, all the details. What better way to do that then by planting it in your subconscious right before going to sleep?

The unconscious mind can inspire wondrous things, and if we can root something into our minds just before slipping into unconsciousness, we can sometimes link those items together, the unconsciousness and the item. I didn't have this experience unfortunately, but I did think hard on the subject.

Circling back to the subconscious, this has been in the back of my mind all day, and perhaps that was the assignments intended purpose, to stick into our minds so we are constantly thinking about it. That could just be the fact that procrastination kicked in again, but because I did something so outlandish before going to sleep, it set in my mind pretty much all day.

My conclusion, I believe it was intended to be used as a means of putting the book into our subconscious while at the same time, trying to blend the book with our unconscious minds to come up with some very unique and creative things that we may only be able to perceive in the unconscious state.

Am I right or wrong? I don't know, and frankly, I don't really care because I made the goal, and thus the goal was satisfied to me. Maybe that was the intent... Meh I'm going too deep. Or am I...

No comments:

Post a Comment